Saturday, July 31, 2010

1. Dwight Howard


I'll admit it; I'm biased. I love the Orlando Magic. From the largely unlikeable Vince Carter to the teddy-bear-like Jameer Nelson, Stan Van Gundy and the team manage to find a soft spot in my heart. However, my love for the Magic is completely eclipsed by my adoration for their star center Dwight Howard.

 I could cite his numerous awards or mention how he was NBA Defensive Player of the Year for both the 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 seasons. I could throw stats down to prove that he's led the NBA in both blocking and rebounding for two straight years. Or I could rewind the clock back to the 2004 NBA draft, when an eighteen year old, 6'11 basketball player out of Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy was the first overall draft pick.

But none of that would explain my Dwight Howard obsession. Quite simply, Dwight Howard is the kind of person I would love to spend a day with. His child-like sense of humor and true dedication to the game make him an easily likeably guy and one of the most dominant big men in the league today. Howard runs the paint, whether he's leaping into the air to retrieve a rebound or smacking down an opponent's shot. Not to mention his ability to dunk, which has proved to be unstoppable for even the best defenders. You can't guard him, and you can't get past him either.

Yet the aggression in Dwight Howard ends the minute he steps off the court. He's just a humble, childish guy who loves doing impressions and pulling pranks on his team mates.  He's always been upfront about his strong religious values, which is also something I respect. In a time when many athletes and stars are pretending to be something there not, Howard stays true to himself and his upbringing.

Honestly, how can you not love a guy who smiles after every play? And who's favorite movie is Finding Nemo? And who posted a video dancing to Single Ladies by Beyonce?! 


The best thing about Dwight is that he never takes himself too seriously. For such a talented ball player, he appears to be just a regular guy. These days, thats a rare thing to find.

Keep smiling, Dwight Howard. You're the NBA's most talented goofball.







No comments:

Post a Comment