Monday, August 2, 2010

6. Dave Chappelle


There's a lot to say about Dave Chappelle. He's ridiculously talented and one of the most successful comedians in decades, but he seems to be ill-equipped to handle the fame that comes with being the Funniest Man Alive.
I love him for the obvious reasons; hes creative, self-made, and impossibly funny. But just like Bjork, Tom Cruise and Paula Abdul, Dave Chappelle is a person I undoubtedly love but don't fully understand.

When Dave left The Chappelle Show in 2005 for his unannounced voyage to Africa, I began to question his decision-making ability.Who walks away from 50 million dollars?!! For any reason, whatsoever! Dave later claimed that he was "stressed out" and that he needed to "keep his humor fresh." He had often talked about being over worked, and I believe this to be true. It's gotta be taxing to be that funny on a regular basis. I'm not sure why he left the show the way he did, or why he journeyed to Africa, but I guess he had to do what he had to do.

What's special about Dave Chappelle is the relevance of his jokes and the ease in which he tells them. He comes off as a really laidback round-the-way type of guy that just happened to make a career out of being funny as hell. He doesn't have set punchlines, nor does he act out his jokes using props and sound effects. He tells stories, after which I always find myself laughing and saying "that's so true! that's so true!'. He can talk about controversial topics like racism and homosexuality without being overtly offensive or crude. He makes fun of everyone, so anyone can find the humor in his jokes.

No matter what career choices or paths he embarks on, Dave is someone I will always respect for being an incredible entertainer. He conquered the world of stand up comedy for a long time, and his success is because of his own hard work. He makes me laugh, and I think that's enough to deserve love.



^Dave at his best

No comments:

Post a Comment